The Superintendency for the Archaeological Heritage of Rome exhibits for the first time a rich selection from the diverse and eclectic collection of archaeology that belonged to the tenor Evangelist Gorga (1865-1957), was acquired by the Italian State in 1950, and has since then been conserved at the National Roman Museum.
Gorga collected a myriad of modern and antique objects that ought to have been, according to his intentions, "the museum of all time," or, as he also wrote, "the Encyclopedic Museum, which includes all the knowledge, from the Archaic period to our days.”
The research of original records was complemented by the investigation on the peculiar figure of Gorga - active in the antique market of Rome between the late 19th and the early 20th centuries - thus testifying to a kind of collecting very different from that of the great families of the 16th and 17th centuries attested by the prestigious collections of Palazzo Altemps.
The exhibition features a selection of some 1800 objects, only a small part of the hundreds of thousands of pieces preserved, and is set up in the two large halls of the new wing of Palazzo Altemps, acquired by the Italian State in 2008. It will thus complete the exhibition space of this seat of the National Roman Museum, which houses the section of the History of Collecting in the 16th and 17th centuries.
The new wing will be used for the temporary exhibitions of the museum.
From 9.00 to 19.45.
Closed on Mondays
Full price: Euro 10.00; reduced: Euro 6.50
06 39967700 www.coopculture.it